Thursday, July 2, 2009

SIMPLE SHAVED FENNEL SALAD

     I really dislike the flavor of licorice, but I love fresh fennel, from which licorice is derived. It looks like a big white bulb and sometimes the green fennel fronds are still attached. Don't discard the fronds which can be used like any herb to add to salads to soups. Fennel is a really clean tasting, crisp and crunchy vegetable that I usually cut up and eat plain like a carrot or celery stick. One really memorable fennel salad I had at World Pie in the Bridge Hampton was fennel, watercress, blood oranges, shaved parmesan cheese and pistachios. I always recreate it because its such a perfect combination of flavors. The salad pictured here is very simple, just shaved fennel, lemon zest, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled with fennel fronds. A few pistachios wouldn't hurt, either.

1 comment:

Rocco Galatioto said...

What a simple yet creative union of flavors. We must have this.
YD